Windshield replacement is a skill that requires extensive training and proficient knowledge of proper installation materials and their use. Many facilities that offer windshield repair also offer windshield replacement, but both repair and replacement carry with them certain risks that every consumer should be aware of.View it now Windshield Replacement.
All new motor vehicle manufacturers are required to comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) on auto glass before offering vehicles for sale. Unfortunately, comparable safety standards specifically for windshield replacement have never been formally drafted. However, it is recommended that customers familiarize themselves with the FMVSS standards and/or the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS.com) and insist that their replacement windshield be installed in congruity with those standards. Though there is no legal requirement to adhere to these standards, in so doing you are essentially getting a replacement windshield that is “good as new.” When it comes to the safety of yourself and your passengers, this should be a very high priority indeed.
If you find that you absolutely must get your car windshield replaced, make sure your windshield installer:
* Removes the old urethane to approximately a 1/16″ depth
* Cleans and primes the windshield glass and the vehicle pinchweld
* Wears gloves to prevent any possible contamination of the materials used in the windshield replacement
* Uses new urethane adhesive (not butyl tape or silicone)
* Checks for the presence of a passenger side airbag and uses urethane that is adequately rated for the job
* Discusses with you how long you will need to wait before the vehicle can be driven
* Reviews the “do’s and don’ts” of your vehicle’s operation during the adhesive curing period
Auto glass work of this nature is very specialized work, and is not something just anyone can do. Automotive windshield repair should be performed only by someone you trust, and who stands behind every aspect of their work. Don’t make light of the fact that your car’s windshield is an integral feature of the safety of your vehicle. Don’t leave something as important as auto glass replacement